MYTHS OF DENTAL WHITENING March 23, 2018April 24, 2018 Carl Pena MYTHS OF DENTAL WHITENING We will here list and explain a number of myths that exist in the teeth whitening. It can be hard to know what to believe in when reading different places on the same subject but with completely different explanations and statements. We will address topics that have been featured on our educations and common statements to provide accurate explanations once and for all. WHAT WHITENS THE TEETH? What pale away the discoloration in the tooth’s enamel is an oxidation reduction (redox) reaction that splits long colored molecules into less colorless. These molecules are broken down to carbon dioxide, CO2 and water. Hydrogen peroxide or other oxidizing agent releases “single” oxygen atoms so-called free radicals. These “look up” organic molecules and break them down. HOW DOES IT EFFECT THE MOUTH? To understand why it is, you should know a bit about the structure of the tooth. The enamel consists mostly of inorganic material. About 96%. In the vast majority of cases the remaining is about 4% water and organic discoloration. Tooth whitening using the oxidation method does not damage the enamel as the free oxygen radicals affect only organic material and thus leave the enamel unaffected. This is theory in most cases. Many preparations have basic alternatively acidic PH values, which means that they instead nourish the teeth of the teeth. In some cases there may be additives in toothpaste gel as another “luke up” enamel. Additives such as phosphoric acid damage the enamel of the teeth because it cuts off a piece of enamel. One of the reasons why some manufacturers want acidic or basic tooth whitening preparations is that it is easier to produce functional preparations as etching on the enamel contributes to increased bleaching effect at the expense of the enamel. Another reason may be the risk of patent infringement in the sale of PH-neutral preparations in certain parts of the world. Always check the pH value of the teeth whitening preparation you are going to use. This also applies in cases where you plan to buy dentifrice from the dentist. The PH value should be 7 so that the preparation is not corrosive and therefore harmful to the enamel. WHAT IS CARBAMIDPEROXID? Carbamide peroxide, also called Urea peroxide, Urea Hydrogen peroxide, is a compound of urea (urea) and hydrogen peroxide (CH6N2O3, or CH4N2O.H2O2). Carbamide peroxide has several uses. Among other things, to sewage, to dissolve earplugs and to whiten teeth. An 18% solution of carbamide peroxide is broken down to a 6% hydrogen peroxide solution and then begins to produce free oxygen radicals that bleach the teeth. The conversion from carbamide peroxide to hydrogen peroxide takes about 30-60 minutes. Carbamide peroxide is therefore not suitable for clinical bleeding or skin bleeding during the day, although it can be used as such if you choose to sit with the preparation for two hours or more. Carbamide peroxide is a more stable product that can withstand room temperature, which means that many manufacturers choose to market this product as home packaging. WHAT IS HYGROGENPEROXID? Hydrogen peroxide or hydrogen peroxide is English for hydrogen peroxide H2O2 … One reason to use the English translation may be for marketing purposes. Hydrogen peroxide and carbamide peroxide in high concentrations (higher than 0.1%) for teeth whitening, under EU law, may not be sold to end customers either in stores (ICA, Pharmacy, etc.) or via online trading. Exceptions to this law occur with different design locally in different states in US. HOW DOES PREGNANCY EFFECT WHITENING? A dental whitening oslo performed in a clinic and in a good way is a non invasive treatment. Tooth whitening preparations are applied to the teeth and removed with suction after completion of treatment. The amount of dental whitening preparation you get during a clinic bleaching is negligible. There are no studie from Oslo showing that it is dangerous for the child or mother with any kind of teeth whitening. A mother that receives “tannbleking in oslo”, the norwegian name for teeth whitening, must do so after first meeting the dentist. Why, then, do most (including BrilliantSmile) have pregnancy and breastfeeding as a contraindication? The answer is simple! Since there are no studies showing that the child or mother is not affected by the tooth bleaching, a chance that may affect an entire unborn child’s entire future life is not worth experimenting with. Therefore, wake up with the teeth whitening until you have stopped breastfeeding.